Commission 3 work plan focuses on contribution of spatial
information for sustainable development. The following elements for
achieving this goal formed the base for the Working groups of Commission
- “e-Government and e-Citizen” focusing on the
interactive information flow between providers, partners and
- “SIM infrastructure” for harmonization of data,
information, tools (LBS) and workflows
- „State of the art of SIM“ for sharing experience
- “Knowledge in SIM” provides the overarching principle
for sharing and transferring knowledge achieved.
Report to the 29th General Assembly, Munich, Germany,
8-13 October 2006
Report to the 28th General Assembly, Cairo, Egypt,
16-21 April 2005
- Report to the 27th
General Assembly, in Athens, Greece, 22-27 May 2004
- Report to the 26th
General Assembly, Paris, France 13-17 April 2003
Working Group 3.1: e-Government and e-Citizen
Interactive Information Flow between providers, partners and customers
SIM is a facilitator for IT based services for administration as
well as for citizens. By thus SIMS will have even the role of an
integrator of components for a Spatial Information Infrastructure within an
- Services and workflows for decision makers and citizens in
- Government – business – customers: relations and activities
- Integration and cooperation in a distributed environment
- Individual vs. business in SIM
- Mobile society
- SIM and LBS in an e-Government context
Working Group 3.2 - SIM infrastructure
Harmonization of data, information, tools (LBS) and workflows as components
- NSDI / GSDI: Spatial Data + Information Infrastructure
- modelling, geo-visualisation
- Legal aspects in SIM
- Standards Network on international (ISO/TC 211, OpenGIS Consortium,
etc.) and on regional level.
- SIM and LBS as tools:
- Making geo-database suitable for mobile phones
- Improve basic references (geo-referencing, transport-internet)
- Role of surveyors in LBS
- Share current experiences and technical visions of the future.
- Gain knowledge from industry.
- Inform future decisions and implementations.
- Inform the big picture on drivers, trends and technologies.
Working Group 3.3 - State of the art of SIM
Development and State of the Art of SIM (analysis of the nation-wide
activity in SIM among participating countries, and world-wide picture and best
practice of institutional structures, as well as contents of data bases) and
establishment of a FIG - metadata base about SDI.
- To increase cooperation between different jurisdictions, disciplines,
professional groups, Public-Public and Public-Private-Partnerships
- To positively influence organizing and business models as well as
procedures on different layers of administration
- To raise awareness and encourage participation regarding:
- Institutional structures and Spatial Information Infrastructure
- Data availability and Spatial Data Infrastructure
- To work towards capacity building and transfer of experience within
a detailed work plan with milestones will be
published on the web site of Commission 3.
- To facilitate the development of NSDIs
Working Group 3.4 - Knowledge Transfer in SIM (education,
A Joint Working Group with Commission 2
Integration of resources of FIG Com.2 and 3 using the experiences in
knowledge transfer on one hand and the know-how of spatial information
management on the other hand.
- Where to get knowledge, training etc.
- Not only data are needed and information is not yet knowledge.
Infrastructure is changing quite fastly, but also methods of training have to
be adopted because the “half-life-time” of knowledge becomes shorter.
- How to bridge tangible information with intangible knowledge.
- Cooperation between sister organizations, optimizing regional structures
Prof. Bela Markus