FIG Commission 4
Commission 4 had five Working Groups:
- WG 4.1 resulting in the FIG Publication 62: Ellipsoidally
Referenced Surveying for Hydrography
- WG 4.2 – Standards and
- WG 4.3 on Optimizing Multi-Sensor Systems for
- WG 4.4 – Maritime and Marine Spatial
- WG 4.5 – Hydrography in Africa.
Commission 4 representatives have been active in producing
publications (both FIG Publications and other), organizing
workshops/conferences/ conference sessions, participating in FIG Task
Forces, and pertinently representing FIG on international Boards and at
In 2014 Commission 4 has been involved in IHO
Capacity Building Seminar, Monaco, March 5–6; and FIG/IHO/ICA International
Board on Standards of Competence for Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical
Cartographers (IBSC) meeting, April 11–17.
Mr. Gordon Johnston together with
FIG Office organised a joint IHO-FIG-IMO-IOC Strategic Capacity Building
meeting in Copenhagen, November.
Commission 4 continues to represent FIG on
the FIG/ IHO/ICA International Board on Standards of Competence for
Hydrographic Surveyors and Nautical Cartographers (IBSC) jointly with IHO
and ICA with 4 representatives.
Working Group 4.1 - Ellipsoidally Referenced Hydrographic
- Study and report on the technical aspects of using GNSS to vertically
reference hydrographic surveys to the ellipsoid
- Catalog the methods used to conduct a vertical datum transformation from
the ellipsoid to vertical datums used for hydrographic and offshore
- Develop uncertainty models for both of the above
Working Group 4.2 - Standards and Guidelines for Hydrography
- Assist in the development and recognition of standards of competency;
- Assist in the development of technical standards and guidelines;
- Cooperation with sister organizations and other appropriate bodies;
Mr. Andrew Leyzack
Working Group 4.3 - Multi-Sensor Systems for Hydrographic
- Assist in the development of technical guidelines for sensor integration
- Cooperation with sister organizations and other appropriate bodies
(e.g., IHO, IMO).
- Cooperation with other FIG Commissions (e.g., Commission 5).
Prof. Dr. Volker Böder
Working Group 4.4 - Maritime and Marine Spatial Information
- Assist in the development and promotion of marine and coastal spatial
information management issues supported by hydrography and hydrographic data
- Cooperation with sister organizations and other appropriate bodies.
- Cooperation with other FIG Commissions.
Professor Jonathan Li, PhD
Working Group 4.5 - Hydrography in Africa
- To raise the awareness of hydrography in all African countries.
- To make available its potentials to various countries (Africa).
- To enunciate its potentials as a vital component and catalyst to nation
- To promote free exchange of information among all those engaged in