For example, positioning and geodetic systems that were
once specific for land administration are now emerging as
integral infrastructure for other industries such as machine
guidance, asset and resource supervision, and disaster
management. There was also a renewed vigour and interest into
global observing systems to assist with the monitoring and
measurement of the earth’s dynamics and the changes that are
occurring as a result global movement.
Although these were popular topics in 2009, the technical
fundamentals of positioning and measurement such as instrument
calibration, network adjustments, standards / best practice
guidelines, transformations, and new observing or processing
techniques were also prevalent themes at Commission 5 related
conferences or workshops.
Working Group 5.1 - Standards, Quality Assurance and Calibration
- Influence the development of standards affecting positioning and
measurement instruments and methods, in collaboration with the FIG task force
on standards and through participation in the relevant technical committees
(TCs) of the International Standards Organisation (ISO) and other appropriate
- Acceptance controls, quality assurance and certification and their impact
on the surveying profession.
- Checking and calibration of measuring instruments.
- Assist other Commission Working Groups to implement Standards from ISO
TC211 as appropriate.
Working Group 5.2 - Reference Frame in Practice
Policy Issues include the following:
- Work to bring together all organisations involved in defining or using
reference frames to develop common approaches and avoid duplication. Such
organisations include FIG, IAG, ISO, groups of national mapping agencies,
other influential national agencies (such as the US DoD's NIMA) and alliances
of commercial organisations (such as Open GIS Consortium and the European
Petroleum Survey Group).
- Continue the existing co-operation with IAG on AFREF as well as facilitate
similar actions on other continents as South America and ASIA.
- Provide background technical information on relevant issues written in a
way that is accessible to the surveying practitioners.
- Develop an inventory of approaches to reference frame issues in different
countries (including transformation methodologies) that is accessible to
- Examine the concepts of dynamic and semi-dynamic datums.
- Examine how surveying practitioners are changing how they access the
reference frame, through less emphasis on networks of ground monuments and
more emphasis on Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) base stations.
- Examine global positioning services as Omnistar and the use of them for
positioning in a national reference frame
- Examine the increased use of GNSS for height determination as well as
the use of geoid models for connection to local height datums.
- Examine the role that the satellite missions GRACE, GOCE and CHAMP will
have on global geoid models
- Examine the increasing role of aerial and space based imagery in the
realisation of reference frames.
Working Group 5.3 - Integrated Positioning, Navigation and
While this is a new focus, it includes the topics covered by the previous
Working Groups 5.3 and 5.4 and extends to cover technology generally.
- Issues associated with ongoing and rapid developments in Integrated
Positioning, Navigation, and Mapping systems, including performance and
applications of such systems and guidelines for their use.
- Ensuring FIG input to planning associated with programs of GPS
Modernisation and GNSS Development.
Working Group 5.4 - GNSS - Global Navigation Satellite Systems
- Cooperation with all organisation involved in the field of GNSS e.g. IAG
- Keeping contact to GNSS receiver and equipment manufactures to provide
state-of-the-art information to the users
- Cooperation with Commisions 3, 4, 6 and 8 regarding GNSS integration
into GIS respectively GNSS for disaster risk management as well as GNNS
applicatiosn in hydrography and engineering surveys
- Providing technical GNSS background information on relevant issues for
surveying practioners by web-page, tutorials and workshops
- Development of recommendations regarding procedures to check GNSS
- Contribute to FIG input to GPS modernisation and GNSS development
- Prepare the surveying profession for GNSS-mass-markets (e.g. Location
based services, traffic applications,…) as well as required technologies
(e.g. assisted GPS, car navigation technology,..)
Dr.-Ing.habil. Volker Schwieger