Ensuring the Rapid
Response to Change
Ensuring the Surveyor of Tomorrow
Vice President Diane Dumashie
In the April 2015 issue of the Civil Engineering Surveyor Magazine,
published by ICES, Diane Dumashie talks about working across two continents
and her new challenge as vice president of FIG.
Read the interview...
Dr. Diane Dumashie
Current Position: Chartered Surveyor
The FIG General Assembly elected at its
meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in June 2014 Dr. Diane Dumashie as FIG
Vice President for a four-year term of office 1.1.2015-31.12.2018
Qualifications and professional affiliations
- 2011 CEDR Accredited Mediator
- 2003 Fellow, Royal Institution of Chartered
- 2002 Associate of AMP (Association of Project
- 2001 PhD University of Wales: Thesis:
Strategic Business management: Landowners, Local authorities and Coastal Zone
- 1984 B.Sc. Estate & Property Management-
University of Central England.
Diane is widely acknowledged as a creative and strategic business thinker
with a proven ability to lead and manage change, to energise and resolve
complex issues and deliver successful outcomes for all stakeholders.
This has led her into the field of knowledge transfer including designing
and facilitating workshops for National and Local government to adapt to
organisational change, helping Professionals and grassroots organisations to
accommodate global drivers and leading study visits for Business and
Ministry senior teams to assess in country context and strategic next steps.
Diane is passionate in her commitment to sub Saharan African , assisting
in programs to alleviate poverty and/ or facilitate gender equality in land
and property. Her focus on Africa, is through applied land economics
and enjoys providing leadership to stimulate global collaboration, to build
key stakeholder relationships at both global donor agencies and multi
national corporation levels.
Deriving strength from a broad commercial background Diane has a proven
track record of success in initiating, managing and delivering urban and
rural based economic and regeneration projects within the UK and Africa
ensuring that knowledge is transferred to client teams.
Diane has led many large and complex development projects in the public,
private commercial and NGO sectors. Such projects have seen me assume
the responsibility as a trusted Senior Advisor to Corporate Boards and SME’s
alike, giving me an in-depth and diverse knowledge across a wide range of
commercial businesses and in particular the coastal industry and housing.
Her Board level experience extends across professional member organisations
Summary of FIG involvement
- Chair, Africa Task force (2009-2014)
- Convener & FIG lead for SIDS workshop 2010 Chair, Commission 8
- Chair, Commission 8 (2007 -10)
- Chair, Commission 8 (2004 -2006)
- Vice chair, commission 8 (1998-2009)
- Member, Task Force on Governance (2004-2006)
Publications and conferences
- 2002- International Federation of Surveyors,
Washington Congress Commission 8: Decision support Systems combining
land use planning and CZM.
- 2002 – Property Rights, Economics and
Environment-Coastal Zone: Rapport & Paper, Strategic Management at the
- 2001- International Federation of Surveyors,
Seoul Working Week Commission 8: Mega cities
- 2000- International Federation of Surveyors,
Prague Working Week Commission 9: Coastal Industrialised Land
Development in the UK.
- 1998 International Federation of Surveyors, Land
Commission 7: Coastal Land Management: Sustainable practices in the
public and private sectors achieving a balance in management and
- 1998 Littoral (Barcelona) –Sustainable waterfront
and coastal development in Europe, socio- economic technical and
- 1995 International Conference Coastal Zone
((Florida), Building CZM partnerships.
- 1994 World Wide Fund for Nature (UK), A Review of
UK Coastal Plans.
- 1993 Author of A Coastal Directory of Local
Planning Authorities: A review of local planning authority plans and
partnerships in Coastal Zone Management on behalf of the Royal Yachting
- 1993 International Federation of Surveyors (FIG),
Marine Policy in the State of Hawaii.
- Technical presentations to various Commercial
multi- national property Board’s and Main Board
- Publications in National journals and
International year books (EEZ).
Board and Committee position
- 2013 – 15 RICS Governing Council Board Member
- 2012- 2017 Board Member of UN Habitat Advisory Group on Gender
- 2009/14 Chairman FIG African Task Force
- 2008/10 Elected as Chairman of FIG Commission 8; Spatial Planning
- 2008/10 Board member of RICS Environment Professional Group
- 2006/14 Chairman RICS delegation to FIG
- 2006/10 Chairman working Group 8.3 FIG, Informal settlements,
Development and plannin
- 2006/10 Board member of RICS Presidents Commission on Climatic
- 2004/06 Elected as Chairman of FIG Commission 8; Spatial Planning
- 2003/04 Committee Member RICS Southwest Regional
- 2002/06 FIG Commission 8 UK delegate; Spatial
planning and development and chair of Working group focussing on
Urbanisation/ Cities, coasts & natural hazards and Informal settlements.
- 2001/04 Committee member of the RICS Local
Faculty Group, Wessex region.
- 2000/04 Chair of FIG Comm. 8.3 Working Group
Planning & Development of Mega- Global Cities.
- 1999/02 Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
(RICS) Working Party: Coastal Defence & Flood Protection.
- 1995/00 RICS Committee member: Marine Resource
Management Skills Panel.
- 1996/00 RICS Committee member: Planning and
Development Market Panel.
- 1995/8 International Federation of Surveyors
- 1988 Chair of Victoria Wine Working party -
Strategic Flat Letting Policy.
Key specialist fields
Land economist, Land use development & regeneration, Feasibility
studies, Project management, Mediator, Institutional Development (and
Workshop Designer/ facilitator) Property development & Marine and
- Director Dumashie LTD (1999- to date)
- Planning and Economic Development Consultancy (1996- 1999)
- Corporate Property Director/ Senior Surveyor Manager (1990 -1995)
- Various technical, business and managerial roles, in corporate and
private sector (1984-1995)
Dr Diane Dumashie
Mb + 44 0797 424 7748
09 March 2015